Sunday, August 16, 2009

Cheap Fun or Dirty Advertising?

Alcohol abuse is a serious problem amongst underage drinkers. We've all seen the stories of alcohol poisoning killing college students. Freshmen away from home for the first semester and even high school students play dangerous drinking games and risk their lives for the thrill of appearing cool.


I've seen numerous Captain Morgan commercials during programming while thinking, "Wow. Some teenager is seeing this and thinking its cool to drink." Most teenagers are slightly naive and eager to please/try anything once. With the increase of alcohol related advertising on television, this is definitely something that is contributing to it.

A study found that, among a group of 2,250 middle-school students in Los Angeles, those who viewed more television programs containing alcohol commercials while in the seventh grade were more likely in the eighth grade to drink beer, wine/liquor, or to drink three or more drinks on at least one occasion during the month prior to the follow-up survey.


I think one local liquor/beer/cigarette store has crossed the line. While spending a weekend afternoon relaxing, I overheard a young child(5-7 years old) repeating a catch phrase from a Dirt Cheap Liquor store commercial. The phrase is "Cheap, cheap, fun, fun." That bothered me deeply but not the fact that the child remembered the phrase, but because I think I know why. Anyone that is familiar with this franchise knows that they have a chick for a mascot. Kids see this mascot and get interested in the commercial because it is now appealing to them. I call foul play but I wonder am I over-analyzing this situation. I have a clip of the advertisement and I'll let you be the judge:



Why is this mascot used when the point is to sell liquor to adults? I understand that alcohol prevention starts within the home. Parents should educate their chidren on the dangers of alcohol but in my opinion, this is crossing the line. Ultimately, I don't make the decisions, but if I did, this company would have some explaining to do.

No comments: